A few days ago Justin was listening to Dr. Laura on the radio. This is a where people call up to complain and Dr. Laura fixes there problems. I absolutely hate listening to this radio show. However, Justin decided to challenge me to see how close I could get to Dr. Laura's advice. So I listened to a few callers and gave my own advice as if I were Dr. Laura. Well one particular caller caught my attention.
A lady called up saying that she and her husband had been married for quite a few years and they just had their first baby. She was having a hard time because she now chose to be a stay at home mom and was having some conflicting feelings about it. She explained that before the baby she was a very accomplished woman. She attended a prestigious university, had a very successful career and had lived her life to the fullest. I was surprised when Dr. Laura asked if she had any feminist courses in college. Dr. Laura got on her soap box about how the most damaging thing that could have happened to woman was the feminist movement. How it is now "under woman" to stay at home with children. How raising your children is not of worth. Dr. Laura explained to this woman that her "accomplishments and goals" should have been more of a maternal nature and not a worldly one.
I also have been reading the book "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. This is an amazing book about not undermining the importance of being a mother. One of my favorite paragraphs comes from a New York Times reporter who writes, "Any woman who has devoted herself to raising children has experienced the hollow praise that only thinly conceals smug dismissal. In a culture that measures worth and achievement almost solely in terms of money, the intensive work of rearing responsible adults counts for little. One of the most intriguing questions in economic history is how this came to be; how mothers came to be excluded from the ranks of productive citizens. How did the demanding job of rearing a modern child come to be trivialized as baby-sitting? When did caring for children become a 'labor of love,' smothered under a blanket of sentimentality that hides its economic importance?"
I feel so strongly that mothers are so important in this world especially now, "when a mother teachers her child a truth, she adds a layer of insulation against Satans influence." I am blessed to be able to be home with my child (I know not every mother can be). However, it took me awhile to get to this point. I loved being in the office keeping a close watch on our business. The first few months after Addie was born I envied those that got to work. I struggled with not feeling like I was accomplishing anything. It was my own attitude that was making motherhood hard. I am grateful for my mom who stayed home with us (even though working was in her blood) and has listened to my own mothering woes. I am happy to say that I love being a mother even though it is so challenging. And you can't even understand the challenges that moms have to face unless you are one.
I was talking to one of our neighbors who has two boys and one on the way. She is working to put her husband through school and has done this for the past 4 years. She told me how excited she is to be able to be home with the kids, but doesn't know what to do with all her time. She was home with the boys a few days ago because they were sick and she was so bored.
All I could think of was the last time I thought "I am so bored". It definitely wasn't after I had a kid! I am so glad Addison keeps me busy and keeps me laughing (even though some days are better than others). Well this is a soap box nearing the end. Being a mom is an amazing experience. I hope every mom out there feels cherished and understands the importance of their "job".
4 comments:
Amen Nina!! I agree that motherhood is a most important job.
I loved reading your post. Everything you said was so true. There is no greater job than that of a mother. I love being a mom but it does take some getting used to! I'm glad to see that you enjoy it too!
Ehy Winwards! i don't know if we are related because i am a winward too :) i'm almost 13 years old and your family is really cool, on google i just looked up winward family blog and i found u!
Nina,
Go Moms! Yeah, stay at home mothering is much more demanding than I ever thought it would be, in that book, Jane, mentions how before kids women picture themselves holding a beautiful sleeping baby in a quiet peaceful room and that as the epitome of motherhood- hah hah! (Yes i once thought that too) Although those moments exist, usually more noise and messes are challances fill our days! So... way to soapbox!
Post a Comment